Job Title: Head of Procurement
Division: Corporate Services
Reports to: Director of Corporate Services
Experience: 18 to 23 yrs
Purpose of the job
To provide a complete commercial procurement function for all the Society’s expenditure with external suppliers responsible for the provision of professional expertise and at the forefront regarding the implementation and development of procurement strategies.
a. Develop and manage the procurement department including setting targets and monitoring performance
b. Develop and deliver a Procurement Strategy across the RSPCA to deliver the target benefits and financial savings including approving each category manager’s purchase category strategy and savings plans
c. Engage support and agreement for the strategy from key stakeholders so that implementation and compliance are optimal; promote the effective management of suppliers to sustain value throughout the life of the contract
d. Establish new processes and systems for effective procurement across the RSPCA; develop an eProcurement vision and identify solutions for the Sage upgrade; investigate opportunities for broader savings in inventory and warehousing costs by conducting in-house v outsource
e. Provide specialist advice, guidance and service on leading practice procurement to all RSPCA departments; lead the society in identification, assessment and management of potential risks associate with differing sourcing strategies; provide insight through the analysis of spend, supply markets and savings;
f. Maximise the use of the Society’s funds by identifying best practice and leveraging the spend within and outside the Society including monitoring available framework agreements available to charities (e.g. OGCbuyingSolutions)
g. Ensure all goods and services purchased comply with the RSPCA’s corporate social sustainability policies
h. Define and manage key supplier relationships to deliver breakthrough performance in cost, service and quality, including technical input to negotiations on strategically significant contracts (e.g. Call Centre) and negotiation and management of third party service providers (e.g. eAuction houses, technical audits such as Recovery)
i. Develop and agree annual departmental cost savings targets for the annual Budget process; develop and agree the annual procurement plan with directors and departmental heads
Develop a savings reporting mechanism (ideally from Sage) with Finance which is understood and accepted by the user departments. Produce regular reports on performance and provide comprehensive management information and in-depth analysis when requested including spend analysis, savings secured and potential savings – for forecast and budgets.
Knowledge, skill and experience
a. Education qualifications: CA
b. Professional/technical qualification/skills:
- Recognised as a procurement professional
- CA qualified preferred but not mandatory
- A good technical appreciation of the range of procurement categories
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong influencing skills at senior levels to influence acceptance of a new way of working
- Project Management skills
- Excellent team management and people skills are essential.
- Ability to negotiate at the highest levels with suppliers
- Good IT skills to include wide experience of word documents, Excel spreadsheets (including pivot tables and charts) and PowerPoint
- Excellent organisational skills
- Significant previous procurement experience with responsibility for delivery of procurement benefits including financial savings.
- Experience of leading a new Procurement department in at least two blue-chip organisations that have crossed functional and business boundaries
- Experience of working with a fragmented user base in multiple locations.
- Strong leadership in a complex environment with a high level of uncertainty around predicted or future demand.
Experience & Job Knowledge
- Proven experience of leading a new Procurement department in an organisation(s) that have crossed functional and business boundaries
- Significant previous procurement experience with responsibility for delivery of procurement benefits including financial savings
- Expert knowledge of procurement tools & techniques Working knowledge of a range of procurement categories
- Knowledge of financial, legal and corporate social responsibility issues
- Proven experience of leading procurement in a complex environment with a high level of uncertainty around predicted or future demand
- Experience of working with a fragmented user base in multiple locations
- Experience of managing and developing a team
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel (including pivot tables and charts) and PowerPoint
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org